The Rio Olympics 2016 has seen some large upsets among the Men’s and Women’s singles event. Big names amongst the men and women were seen existing in the first few rounds.
Top Seed Defeats
The two major surprises were defeats of the men’s top seed Novak Djokovic in the first round and women’s to seed Serena Williams in the third round.
Novak Djokovic who is suffering with a wrist injury bowed down to Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro in straight sets 7-6, 7-6. Serena William’s bowed out to Ukraine’s Elina Svitonlina 6-4, 6-3.
These defeats are the most surprising, however, there have also been other top player defeats.
Women’s Top Player Defeats:
- Sloane Stephens (First Round)
- Venus Williams (First Round)
- Agnieszka Radwanska (First Round)
- Ana Ivanovic (First Round)
- Eugenie Bouchard (Second Round)
- Caroline Wozniacki (Second Round)
- Garbine Muguruza (Third Round)
Men’s Top Player Defeats:
- Yen-Hsun Lu (First Round)
- Grigor Dimitrov (First Round)
- David Ferrer (Second Round)
- Jo-Wilfred Tsonga (Second Round)
- Philipp Kohlschreiber (Second Round)
With so many top players out of the running, Andy Murray is the men’s favourite for a Gold medal and the eye will be on Angelique Kerber.